1.11.06

My first Expert Inquiry

Today I got my first email from another researcher asking a question because I am a Wishbone expert. I feel so proud, not just because I got the question, but because I know the answer. What a great day!

Here's the scoop!

"Hi Hollie!

I figure this question is in your area of expertise . . . what is the name of the part of the furcula that is endochondral in origin? (see picture; double-crested cormorant). Hope your stuff is going well, and you enjoyed your Mexican conference."

Here's my response:

"Hi *, great photograph!

From what I understand, there is no part of the furcula that is endochondrial in origin. It is all dermal/membranous in origin. However, post ossification, cartilage does form due to friction (movement) in vivo. This cartilage is than ossified, causing the furcula to become thicker.

This info I remember came from one of Brian Hall's Papers (Hall, 1986, J. Embryol. exp. Morph 93:133-152). He immobilized chick embryos in vivo and found that their furculae were very reduced as compared to mobile chicks (that's an oversimplification, of course)

For information about the development of the furcula, the best paper is Russell & Joffe 1985, and all of the Hall papers on the subject.

Hope this helps,
Hollie
ps, Mexico was awesome!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and confusing at the same time. :)